Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Why this blog?

I started this blog to discuss using technology in the high school math classroom. This is the first time I have a classroom that has one computer per student.

It is Day 18 and there have only been a couple of major technology failures. Having a backup lesson for when the technology fails is a must. But besides the failures their have been some good success's. My plan is to use this blog to share what has worked well and to look for ideas for ways to fix those things which were less than optimal.

Automating the problem of the day.
When students enter the classroom they have learned to log on to their computers to start their problem of the day (POD). I currently setup the problem of the day in moodle as a quiz. I have set it up so that the students' answers are checked after they submit an answer. They are allowed to go back and correct any problems that are incorrect. Their final score is based on the number correct minus a small penalty for any incorrect tries.

This has allowed students to get feedback quickly on how well they are doing. They are also able to keep trying until they get it correct. This has help to reinforce the students when they are getting the correct answers and allowed them to learn when they may be doing something incorrectly.

As they students complete the problem I am able to view all the students scores and the time they used to complete the problem. This has allowed me to adjust the start of my lesson based on how successful they were on the POD.

Overall I think this has been a very effective way to use the computers to provide more feedback and allow me, the teacher, to adjust based on the performance of EVERY student.

In the future I hope to also be able to use the same tool with exit and pacing questions. The only thing that is keeping me from doing this is the time required to setup all of the questions. I expect that as I get better at entering the questions that it should take less time.

No comments: