Monday, October 8, 2007

Moving towards a flat classroom.

As I was listening to the comments of David Warlick on the k12 Online Pre Keynote talk I have started to understand some of the changes that have been happening in my classroom.

My classroom has been flattening out. Knowledge in the traditional classroom flowed downhill from the teacher to the students. This is no longer the case. The flow of knowledge has been shifting to a flatter model where the knowledge can flow as easily from the teacher or any student to anyone else. This is the start of a flat classroom.

In teaching math I used to believe that my goal was to make sure that all my students gained all of the knowledge in the curriculum guide. While I also new it was important to teach my students how to learn, I can now see how I should change the way I think about my classroom.

My new goal is to create a community of learners that are able to acquire the knowledge needed as defined in the curriculum guide. I can now see that if I help to create a strong community of learners that achieving the goals of the curriculum will be much easier. Also that as the world changes my students will be able to support each other and acquire knowledge to solve new problems.

No comments: